Thursday, January 21, 2010

Heart vs Mind



With my first post for the new year, I'd like to blog about a topic of discussion I've had with a variety of people, and it came up again recently. Despite the simplicity of this question, I consider the answer to be so complicated that can take a lifetime for someone to discover. However, with reflection on my own life thus far, be as it may, I am completely convinced that there is only one answer for me.

From the people I've had this discussion with, generally the ones who answer heart over mind will do so instantly without applying an elaborate thought process behind their answer. When you press them for reasons, they will try to figure out a reason which may or may not be satisfactory to the asker. This type is often labeled as being emotional, irresponsible, foolish, stupid and immature.

The second crowd, who answer mind over heart, will frequently scoff at the answer of their counterparts with the firm belief that to live life well, logic and practicality is the best methodology to apply because it will help you determine a choice which is less likely to have consequences. The consequences may be of varying degree - perhaps they don't want to risk finding themselves wrong or disappointing to themselves and others. This crowd is often labeled as being cautious, cunning, calculative and logical.

Though I personally strive to balance both because each has their gift, I have reached the conclusion that the heart is the better guide. The heart is like a compass - simple and pure - fixed to point in only one direction at any given time wherever you are without a second's thought or reason. The mind, however, has the ability to argue and reason any whichever way provided that it has enough information to do so which is not a terrible thing. Infact, it's quite useful, but the solutions it produces are often driven from fear of disappointment. "I should not do this because what if I end up being wrong? I will have disappointed myself and possibly others" and so a solution is produced by the mind where such a risk is perceived to have been decreased or eliminated completely. It is to lock one's self into a mode where they are convinced that living life in a cautious fashion is going to save them from disappointment, thereby leading them to happiness.

The funny thing is, (and those guided by their minds will probably not readily admit this) I've noticed that many of these fear-driven decisions are brought up in the mind time and again which would not be happening had someone remained truly content. They experience a reoccurring doubt at some later point in time: "Would I have been content had I gone with my heart-guided decision?" Though there may be less disappointment - it is interesting to note that there is certainly not the lasting type of happiness that only occurs when a heart is truly content.

So back to my earlier metaphor of the heart acting as a compass: The heart will always point you in one direction and from thereon, it's up to your mind to understand it and determine a path that will lead you towards that direction instead of wandering aimlessly with distractions and short-lived contentment until you inevitably sync your mind with your heart. How direct that path is left to your mind and action's discretion.

Happy 2010, everyone!

No comments: